Saturday, July 20, 2013

Too Many Tomatoes

I know its not baking related but I thought I would share my project for this weekend. We had entirely too many tomatoes on our 4 plants (and its only our first crop) so I had to do something with them. So, I canned them. I use lots of tomatoes in salsa and chili and other things, and what better way to save money and still have high quality than to can your own fresh tomatoes.
I peeled and roughly chopped the tomatoes and filled the jars, then water bath canned them. I got 9 pints of tomatoes, although one broke in the canner. I was so excited. I also have decided that I really want to can more stuff. I am not sure if it is just because it is something relatively new or if its the prospect of saving tons of money and still having what I need in the pantry. Now, all I need is more time to do all of my projects.




No comments:

Post a Comment