Saturday, November 2, 2013

KTM Motorcycle Cake

In September I made a motorcycle cake (I know I'm a little late). It was a vanilla cake with cookies and cream filling and vanilla buttercream. I made the cake with four 6" rounds. I split two of the rounds so that I could fill them without them turning into a 4" high cake layer. These two rounds I shaped to look like tires and covered them with black fondant. After I stacked them, I added little squares of black fondant to resemble the tread on a motorcycle tire. The remaining two layers were stacked and covered in orange fondant. I added black squares around the bottom edge and it (unintentionally) ended up looking like a paddle tire. It came out really good. To cut out the letters for the KTM name, I rolled out black and orange fondant and allowed it to dry a little so that it wouldn't stretch or snag with the exacto knife. With a little bit of "glue" I stuck all the extra pieces on. Eventually I got the cake supported and stacked. No matter how I stacked it, the cake was doomed to lean one way or another. The major lesson I learned while making this cake was that it took far longer to do something like this than I had anticipated. Incidentally, I undercharged. Oh well. Its a learning experience. The end result did turn out pretty good.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards, himalayan motorcycle tours

    ReplyDelete